My First Afghan


For about 60 hours during November and December, I worked on this blanket. I finished it at the beginning of January. Unfortunately, it was too late for its intended purpose.

At the end of October, I went to visit my grandfather at the residence he was at. It was his 84th birthday. I was taken completely off guard, not expecting what I was presented with. I didn't know how to deal with it, how to cope. I was distraught.

Once home, I decided that I needed to do something. This became my selfish thing to make myself feel better about not being able to fix anything else.

When I first began the blanket, and it was still a small project to carry around, I would bring it to my Robotics meetings at school to keep my hands busy while listening. I got asked many questions about what I was doing, and several suggestions about what to change the blanket into (i.e. a scarf or a sock) so that it would take less time to make. I didn't see this as an option, so I kept working to make it a full blanket.

My grandfather passed away halfway through December. I was 2/3 of the way done the blanket. I continued to work on the blanket, not knowing for a time what I would do when it was done. I decided during the funeral that I would give the blanket to my grandmother.

She was very touched when I gave it to her. She's taught me many things about knitting and crocheting (as well as cooking), and she's given away many blankets of her own over the years. One time when I was at her house, I counted over 20 crocheted blankets on one floor of the house! I think, though, that this many have been one of the first times one was given to her.
While it may not be completely visible in the photos, this blanket is huge. I'm tall and even with my arms raised above my head, it still risks touching the ground.

I used the vintage fan ripple blanket pattern that I found on Wink's blog. I have to say, once I got the hang of the stitch, the rows work up incredibly quickly. The blanket is a yarn hog, but more than worth it. It's super soft and warm.

This is the first adult sized blanket I've made. It was more work than I thought, but at the same time, it took about 60 hours, which isn't all that much in the grand scheme of things!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

About

Hi! I'm Sarah. I've been crocheting since the fall of 2012, when I wanted to make a special present for my then-boyfriend. After that, I was hooked- pun intended.

My yarn stash is ridiculously huge, in my opinion, because people like to gift me the yarn they don't want anymore. I don't say no, because I'm determined to find ways to use all the yarn I have.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *