The Math Tutor

Madeline would not consider herself to be shy by any stretch of the imagination. Going out on the weekends was one of her favourite things. There was an emphasis on the word "weekend" and it did not include Friday nights. Those she spent with her tutor.

Her senior year of high school was proving to be more difficult than expected, but Madeline's dad hadn't hesitated at all before helping her find a tutor. Math was her least favourite subject but her tutor made up for that. He was in university, and she loved the rare times he would talk about his studies. He was so passionate and energetic, and it was contagious.

That particular Friday evening, she was running late, and knew that he would arrive at her house first. There was an accident on the highway, and the unforeseen snow fall was making it difficult for her to walk home from the bus stop. In good weather, it was a pleasant walk. Her neighbours had landscaped gardens and beautiful houses. However, Madeline thought that snow made everything ugly. Gone were the days where she could wear skirts and dresses. No, now she had to wear pants. She found them much less flattering and stylish.

She was still a few houses away when she recognized her tutor's car in her driveway. She was only ten minutes late, as long as he hadn't shown up early. Sometimes he did that, and it would distract her for the evening because she liked to think that he did that to spend extra time with her.

"I'm home," she announced when she walked through the door. She saw her tutor in the kitchen, smiling and talking to her mom. In her head, she always referred to him as "her tutor" so as to remember their exact relationship. It dawned on her that she knew little about him and had no idea how he could talk so easily to her mom.

"Hi Maddy," he said. She smiled back at him.

"Hi honey," her mom said. "Leo was just telling me about a school project, but I'll let you two study now. Snacks are already on the table."

"What's the project about?" Madeline asked, reaching over to grab a handful of peppers off her mom's cutting board. She wanted to postpone working as long as she could.

"We're trying to model the flight path of an electric airplane with many small motors."

"I was telling him that some of my colleagues at work would be happy to help, or at least hear the outcome of the project," her mom chimed in.

"If you could give me their coordinates, I would greatly appreciate it," he replied. "But now, Madeline and I need to work. Did you get your test results?"

Madeline avoided eye contact. This was exactly what she hoped he wouldn't ask. But, just like usual, he got straight to the point. She slowly got the paper out of her bag and handed it over. Leo skimmed the pages, nodded, and sat down.

"Let's get to work," he announced, in a casual tone. Madeline appreciated him calmness, because she knew that later on, her parents would have a much different reaction.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

About

Hi! I'm Sarah. I've been crocheting since the fall of 2012, when I wanted to make a special present for my then-boyfriend. After that, I was hooked- pun intended.

My yarn stash is ridiculously huge, in my opinion, because people like to gift me the yarn they don't want anymore. I don't say no, because I'm determined to find ways to use all the yarn I have.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *